That was then… : ) | Chicago Family Photographer

Well hi there. : )

I’ve been putting off this blog all day because, quite frankly, I’m so ridiculously excited about it that I haven’t been able to find the words to start. But these are the words, and they go like this:

That was then.

I’ve got to be honest for a minute.  The past two years of crazy-long hours and late-night editing, fast-paced days and too-short of nights, missing my kids while yearning for crumbs of “me-time”… I nearly lost myself in it all.  I learned some pretty intense lessons about life, about balance, about grace, and about what needs to come first when making big life plans.

Please don’t get me wrong… I truly LOVE my work as a photographer and have literally thanked God every day for it since  I first started the business.  But after sharing here, on the blog, that we were going to make some pretty hefty changes to our business structure, we quickly realized that (as my dad, a former Navy man, put it), “It takes a long time to turn a ship around.”  My schedule was just as packed through the entire fall as it was prior to our summer announcement, and we only just wrapped up our final commitments of 2011 about two weeks ago.

And now, from where I’m standing, I can gratefully say that “that was then”.

And this, my dear readers, is now. : )

I’ve spent the past few weeks staring straight back into the face of where I’ve come from, trying to decide exactly where it is I want to be going.  With a more reasonable amount of time on my hands, I’ve already tasted the joy that comes from spending quality time with my kids, laughing with friends, indulging in a craft or two… there will be good times ahead and I have every intention of sharing it all right here, with you.

I could go on and on, but I think you’ll see what I mean as these next few weeks progress.  For now, just know that you can expect to see a bit deeper into my heart, watch as I go after some exciting new goals, read about life through the eyes of myself and my family, and discover (right along with me!) a bit more about who I am at the core.  I was recently reminded that I’m more than simply a photographer.  I had forgotten that.

So now, without further adieu, allow me to present to you my very own “Bucket List” for 2012.  After much thought and meditation, these are the things that I am truly hoping to accomplish by December 31.  In the right column of the blog, you’ll see a link to this list… I’ll be making notes on it as I go, as I accomplish or fail at each little task.

Will you come along with me?

new year's resolutions

PS... $25 Target gift card to anyone who leaves me a comment sharing an item from their 2012 bucket list.  YAY!!! : ) // ]]>
Pin It

16 comments
Add a comment...

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

• Kelly PlazaJanuary 2, 2012 - 11:17 am

Bucket list 2012–go on family walksReplyCancel

• Julie LindstromJanuary 2, 2012 - 11:49 am

With a seven month old, I have been stressing that the list of “to dos” has not gotten any shorter…changed maybe, but not shorter…so I’m going to try not to stress about the length of the to do list, and concentrate on enjoying time with my son!ReplyCancel

• AmyJanuary 2, 2012 - 12:44 pm

For 2012, my bucket list includes having a nice homecooked sit down family dinner where we all eat at the same time at least once a week! Also learn to master my camera a little more by taking at least one “good” photo of my daughter once a month before she gets too big!ReplyCancel

• LindseyJanuary 2, 2012 - 1:56 pm

Stay on top of the laundry- maybe a load a day so I don’t end up wasting every weekend inside washing and folding.ReplyCancel

• NicolleJanuary 2, 2012 - 3:36 pm

The top thing on my bucket list this year is to be in the best shape of my life by the end of the year. And the result will be a year of putting myself first a little more often than I did last year :) Good luck with your bucket list Amy! I like the list and know you can do it all! Sounds like 2012 equals balance for you… and that is what I hope for everyone I know and love this year!ReplyCancel

• MelodyJanuary 2, 2012 - 3:45 pm

Please don’t send me a Target GC – but I thought it would be fun to add one of my goals – get to the gym 3x a week. I’m digging your new yellow stripes on the blog!! And am so happy to hear that you are finding yourself again in this new year!ReplyCancel

• Ann RodmanJanuary 2, 2012 - 4:34 pm

Take a one year leave of absence from my job as a teacher to invest whole hearted time into my own 2 kids verses the 400 I see in my classroom now. I love influencing and teaching students but I will never get years back with my own children. I am a little worried I will never go back! Oh, and to join a woman’s bible study and reach out to those in need within my community.ReplyCancel

• Liz LangJanuary 2, 2012 - 4:56 pm

But a house. A real house. Work out three times in one week. Bake cookies. Take a day off work and spend it with my daughter. Leave work on time everyday for two weeks. Straight. Thanks for the inspiration, Amy. Love your punch list. The big and the seemingly small together is huge. Love the thought behind each of these i may borrow a few of your ideas for a list of my own Like rsvping on the same day as getting the invitation. You can do it. All of it. And enjoy it too.ReplyCancel

• Liz LangJanuary 2, 2012 - 4:58 pm

Oops Buy a house.ReplyCancel

• KarlaJanuary 2, 2012 - 5:27 pm

One item on my bucket list – take a vacation with all three kids!ReplyCancel

• MichelleJanuary 2, 2012 - 8:36 pm

My 2012 bucket list top 3: Have more self confidence, Take a vacation with only my husband (haven’t been away and alone in 12 yrs), and establish a photography studio.ReplyCancel

• AmyJanuary 2, 2012 - 9:16 pm

Ok… feeling like an idiot here!!! If you got the message in your blog post e-mail that you’d get a gift card for commenting… I *meant* I’d pick one of the commenters in a raffle! I meant to reword it before I posted, spaced out, and totally forgot… oh my goodness!!! Praying that you’ll all forgive my “mommy brain” moment and let me just send a card to one of you! I’ll pick someone tomorrow… SO sorry!!! : )ReplyCancel

• Angie K.January 2, 2012 - 10:29 pm

After living in our house for almost two years, we need to hang some photos/art, etc on our wall. That is top on my bucket list! Thanks!ReplyCancel

• Michelle D.January 3, 2012 - 12:43 am

Amy, though it’s not what you wrote, it’s what I figured you meant. LOL! I can relate. Gift card or not, I’ll share a couple of mine: to keep my girlfriends in close contact even after I have baby #3, record memorable moments in my children’s “smile” books more often.ReplyCancel

• Jennie SchoenefeldJanuary 3, 2012 - 9:18 am

I’m one that makes lists for themselves everyday! This year I want to ask myself, about my list….Will this put you in a better frame of mind and will this allow you more time with your family?ReplyCancel

• […] since I blogged my bucket list for 2012, I’ve been trying, trying, TRYING to become a runner.  I’ve blogged about it a few […]ReplyCancel

Welcome to the blog,
where we try to keep it
fresh, beautiful,
but most of all... real.

Receive friendly blog posts and beautiful newsletters via email:

Menu